Saturday Market On A Sunday

Saturday Market On A Sunday
Color and More Color

Monday, May 3, 2010

Sunday at Saturday Market

Portland Saturday Market was one of the hottest attractions around when it first opened in 1974 and very much an offshoot of music festivals and counterculture of the sixties.  There was lots of tie-dye and patchouli and music, and the hottest item of all (literally) were the elephant ears, which were ever so tasty doctored up with butter and honey or jam.  I shopped there off and on, but over time I gradually stopped going altogether and as it aged, the surroundings got a little too funky, and it just drifted from my thoughts like smoke in the wind (what kind of smoke is up to your imagination).  Recently, I'd heard and read that Portland Saturday Market folks had spiffed things up a bit and had even built a new pavilion across the street in Portland Waterfront Park, so when a friend who sells at Saturday Market asked me to come down and visit on a Sunday, I realized I really did want to go down and see her and see all the changes. 




During most Portland springs, rain controls the proceedings, and such was the case when I visited.  I also wore my heavy winter coat (it was that cold) and felt a little miserable, i.e. whiny voice in head, "but I WANT it to be sunny" (as a gigantic aside, I sometimes feel a good old fashioned two-year-old tantrum would be fun to throw at times like that, but really people would stare).  Being the native Portlander I am and being made of stiffer stuff than rain, I soldiered on, forgetting about the music always there, and upon hearing that immediately put a "spring" in my step.  And then I felt started to feel even more cheerful immediately viewing this:

How can you not feel uplifted with all of that color?  With everything else changing so quickly in the world, it was a bit of comfort to find something so part of its own past still thriving now.


Bright and beautiful hand-beaded purses and wallets also caught my eye and made me want to explore further.

Along with the colorful and whimsical, there was sophistication and style as well for the yard and garden.  I loved this heron yard sculpture .... hmmm, it would also look good on my deck (hint to me, start saving those pennies).


I loved these tops and skirts, all handmade, and something stylish for work or after work or so many other events.


As I've mentioned in other posts, Portlanders love their pups, so there was a myriad of patterns in this nice fleece jacket exactly perfect for our Portland winters (and early shivery spring days).  This is just one example of the dog clothing available as there many other vendors that offered other dog clothing options as well.


While many think the pups are paramount in Portland, cats will not be denied their place in the Portland pet pecking order (OK, enough of the alliteration).  This gorgeous bengal cat also visited Saturday Market with his person (and forgive my bad thoughts, but I would have loved to kidnap this beauty and run away).

I wormed my way through all the booths on the "old side" of the market and was finally ready to cross the street to see my friend and the new pavilion:


I was impressed at how nice and open and airy it all was and also at the number of vendors there as well.  Crossing the street to see the other side has never been so much fun. 

I haven't covered all the food options available at Portland Saturday Market.  Believe me it would take a whole separate post to do that, but suffice it to say here that elephant ears are still available and made me feel like I'd come whole circle to everybody's favorite treat in 1974 and today (for an elephant ear recipe, check here http://abellamientosembellishments.blogspot.com/p/abellamiento-recipes.html.).




I wonder who makes these fabulous scarves and gloves and purses?


Those fabulous colorful products are made by my friend, Cordellia (FrostyPixie), wearing one of her creations.  I have two pairs of her beautifully knitted fingerless gloves (one black and one purple with ruffles), which are excellent for keeping my hands warm while allowing my fingers to keep on going unfettered.  Make a point of going to see her at Portland Saturday Market like I did or you can also visit her on Etsy at http://www.etsy.com/shop/FrostyPetals  You'll not only get a great product and customer service, but a chance to meet a truly creative and warm person who epitomizes the spirit of Portland Saturday Market.

So much has changed in Portland over the years that at times I almost don't recognize my city.  Change is good and to be applauded at times, but it is hard to see some of the familiar things morph or disappear.  I have to admit I approached going back to Portland Saturday Market with a little trepidation due to the past actually (fear of cliches, funkiness, same old, same old), but it turned out to be a fun adventure.  Just like Portland, the market has changed, but it has done it in a way that is true to its past and yet really looking forward and serving their customers and vendors in the best way possible, so be sure to go visit Portland Saturday Market (and FrostyPixie and Cordellia) on a Sunday, or even on a Saturday, you'll be glad you did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment