Saturday Market On A Sunday

Saturday Market On A Sunday
Color and More Color

Friday, January 15, 2010

Haitian Pain

When I worked with neurosurgeons, I listened once when a halo brace was removed from a child's head/neck/shoulder area. Halo brace frames and wires are literally screwed into the head and neck to maintain correct position and alignment during the healing process. Even with local anesthesia, the child was terrified and in pain, and the screams were heart wrenching. The young patient later walked out and all was well, but I've never forgotten that experience.

Today, while watching events unfold in Haiti, and watching childrens and adults being sutured without the use of anesthesia or even correct sanitary measures, I was reminded of the halo removal experience. Removing a halo brace is a positive event, meaning the patient is healed and ready to move on with further treatment or simply with their life, but it is a difficult experience. We can only hope that someday soon the Haitian people will be able to move forward from what is certainly far more than a "difficult experience." In the meantime to help, I've given money and will continue to do so with the hope that Haiti will be able to move forward to a brighter future. As President Obama said, "you will not be forsaken." Let's not forget that promise.

2 comments:

  1. Amen ... I can only pray that with all this support they will be receiving, they will be stronger when they come out on the other side of this disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I look forward to reading many, many more!

    ReplyDelete